Zapatistas to Washington D.C.

Jim Jaszewski jjazz at freenet.hamilton.on.ca
Thu Sep 14 05:46:52 MDT 1995

=09Maybe some of you are tired of `Third World' Issues, but others=20
might want to mark it on their calendars...

Note 11577 in newsgroup alt.native
From: deee at alleg.edu (chickadee)
Subject: Re: American Indian Day?

"We  are here to say that we are human beings and we have a world-wide
proposal: a new international order based on, and ruled by, democracy,
liberty and justice."
EZLN
June 1995

                              CALL FOR
                  AN INTERNATIONAL ACT OF RESISTANCE
                     FOR DEMOCRACY IN THE AMERICAS

           It has been said that there is no possibility of organizing
a  world order based on democracy, liberty and justice, where all
peoples  have the right to make decisions about the economic forces
that shape their lives. In the midst of this global cynicism and
despair, the Zapatistas of Southern Mexico have dared to propose an
alternative vision.  Sentenced to disappear off the face of the earth,
because  their means of production, culture and ethnicity have been
classified as "irrelevant,"  the Zapatistas have chosen to resist. However =
=20
they are faced with an intransigent  Mexican government, supported by the =
=20
US, that has refused to eliminate human rights abuses and has resorted to =
=20
assassination to maintain its power and to impose an authoritarian =20
economic policy that benefits an elite at the expense of millions.

      Despite the government's continued militarization of Chiapas and
other southern states, the Zapatistas have managed to sustain a truce
for the past 18 months in an effort to work with peaceful democratic
forces to create a genuine democracy.  They have asked civic society
to take up the banner of a peaceful transition to democracy in order
to avoid a bloody conflict.  The Zapatistas' struggle seeks a new
model of democracy for Mexico, one that rejects the global economic
model promoted by the World Bank, the IMF and present US policy.

      Like  the Zapatistas, many in North America have also struggled,=20
althoughin different ways and places.  Our resistance has lived
wherever people have fought to protect the resources of the earth.  It
has lived wherever people have fought so that their jobs and their
quality of life allow them to preserve their human dignity.  It has
lived  wherever people  have struggled to end oppression and
dictatorships, and to be free of persecution and torture.

      In our resistance we share with the Zapatistas the following
ideals:

       *That all human beings have the right to decent employment,
land,  housing, nutrition, health, education, democracy, liberty,
justice, independence, culture, information, peace, security, the
fight against corruption and the defense of the environment.

       *That an economy is political and that when it promotes the
exploitation of people and the earth, human beings are obligated to find =
=20
alternatives for reasons of their future  survival.  We believe in seeking =
=20
such alternatives to the projects and plans of the World Bank and the =20
International Monetary Fund.

           *That all human beings are capable of organizing themselves
to  make a world where hope lives and the dignity of community,
independence, and freedom belong to everyone.

           *That  democracy means that governments must represent the
will of the people, and not the will of a handful of wealthy people.
Democracy is more than the right to vote; it also means the right to =20
decide what happens to the economy.

The indigenous communities of southern Mexico have had the courage  to
stand  up for democracy, liberty and justice against a corrupt
government  and a brutal global economic system.  Their struggle for
change in Mexico offers the people of the world renewed hope, a chance
to organize and work to develop an "international order based on
peace, democracy, and justice."  In order to keep this hope alive, we
must show that the Zapatistas are not alone in this struggle.

To do this, we ask that you make every effort to join us October 9-12,
1995 in Washington D.C. to express a united voice of resistance during
the state visit by Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo and the meetings
of the World Bank and the IMF, where we will be joining the protests
of the "50 Years Is Enough" Campaign.

We extend a special invitation to our brothers and sisters in Canada,
to all those involved in agriculture, labor, immigration, women's
issues, the environment, indigenous rights, human rights and civil
rights because we believe that all of us together represent the true
picture of the global economy, and its specific impact in North
America.

JOIN US IN THIS HISTORIC OPPORTUNITY TO STAND WITH THE ZAPATISTAS, AND
TO  LET  THOSE IN POWER KNOW THAT REASON AND A PEACEFUL TRANSITION  TO
DEMOCRACY MUST REMAIN A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE IN MEXICO.

*              *             *              *           *      *     *
*    *    *    *

     The National Commission for Democracy in Mexico is an independent
network of groups and individuals committed to promoting solidarity
efforts with the people of Mexico in the struggle for democracy. A
tentative agenda accompanies this Call.  We hope to hear from you
soon in response to our invitation.

           NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR DEMOCRACY IN MEXICO, USA
                      601 N. Cotton Street, #A103
                         El Paso, Texas 79902
                       (915) 532-8382 phone/fax
                         moonlight at igc.apc.org

           NCDM PROPOSED WORKING AGENDA: OCTOBER 7-12, 1995
                      "NATIONAL ACT OF RESISTANCE
               IN SUPPORT OF DEMOCRACY IN THE AMERICAS"

Saturday, October 7th
     8pm            Forum Sponsored by  "50 Years is Enough" Campaign:
=09=09    "IMF Policies and Civil Unrest"

Sunday, October 8th
     7:30 pm        Attend Bread and Puppet Theater Program, sponsored
=09=09    by "50 Years is Enough" Campaign

Monday, October 9th
     Noon           Participate in "50 Years is Enough" Campaign
=09=09    Demonstration outside of Sheraton, site of World
=09=09    Bank/IMF Meetings

     3pm            NCDM Zapatista Rally in front of the White House
                         -Including Indigenous People's Message

     7pm            "50 Years is Enough" Campaign Religious Vigil
                     with Bishop Samuel Ruiz

Tuesday, October 10th
     10am           Press Conference and Rally on Capitol Hill for the
=09=09    Zapatistas, the peace process and the transition to
=09=09    democracy in Mexico

     Noon-1pm       "50 Years is Enough" Campaign Religious Vigil in
=09=09    front of Sheraton

     2pm            Protest  against PRI  dictatorship and human
                    rights violations

     7pm            Reception for NCDM guests from Mexico
                                  and
                    NCDM Public Forum on Mexico

Wednesday, October 11th
     Morning        Visit Congressional Delegations and other
                    institutions related to Mexico (OAS,etc.)

     Noon           Participate in "50 Years Is Enough" Campaign's
                    Protest at Sheraton

     Afternoon      Protest Zedillo's Visit

                    Protest against US immigration policies and the
                    School of the Americas

Thursday, October 12th   Schedule to be defined but proposed
=09=09=09 activities include program to close NCDM Act of =20
=09=09=09 Resistance

=C9=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=BB
=BA   ++++++++++++++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++++++++++  =
    =BA
=BA   +++++++++ if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig +++++  =
    =BA
=BA   ++++ more info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm ++++  =
    =BA
=CC=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=B9
=BA Those who would give up essential Liberty,          Benjamin Franklin  =
    =BA
=BA to purchase a little temporary Safety,              Pennsylvania Assemb=
ly  =BA
=BA deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.                 Nov. 11, 1755      =
    =BA
=CC=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=B9
=BA Jim Jaszewski <jjazz at freenet.hamilton.on.ca>                           =
    =BA
=BA http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ab975/Profile.html                  =
    =BA
=C8=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=CD=
=CD=CD=BC