Bordiga & Italian communism

Alex Trotter uburoi at panix.com
Thu Sep 14 23:01:00 MDT 1995

A few questions for Nello and any other Italian revolutionists on this list:

I'm seeking information about Bordiga and the bordigists, who are so
little known in the United States. I am familiar with B. almost entirely
through the work of his one-time protege Jacques Camatte. I have also
seen some copies in English of the theoretical organ of the International
Communist Party, from which I was not able to glean much, except that
their line seems almost, though not quite, leninist--more ultraleft, yet
still committed to the idea of a party, albeit one more suited to the
conditions of western Europe rather than Russia.

How would you characterize bordigism? From what I can tell, Bordiga's
notion of a party was something like a general staff without an army.
What is the concept of "organic centralism" and how does it differ from
the leninist "democratic centralism"? Also, how would you compare
bordigism with trotskyism?

Apropos of the 'red vs. green' or 'red *and* green' discussion, I have
also heard that Bordiga had an interest in environmental matters unusual
for someone of the Comintern generation. If that is true, it is easy to
see how those concerns of his may have influenced Camatte, who broke with
marxism and bordigism but still holds Bordiga in much higher regard than
Lenin or Trotsky.

--AT