dialectics, chaos, and Life

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Sep 16 21:18:20 MDT 1995

> In my opinion, and that of several
> other researchers who are aware of both chaos theory and marxism,
> dialectics is regarded as a 19th century expression of what chaos
> theory now expresses mathematically: the inter-relatedness of
> things, the organic nature of relations between entities.

Hans:
-----

Steve, I do not understand how such a statement can be defended.  Chris
Burford also suggest a long while back that chaos theory is a paradigm
shift.  I simply do not know what someone means by dialectics when they
say such things.

Chris:
------

Chaos theory which has earned an unshakable place over 100 years,
in western science, puts an end to narrow mechanical reductive determinism.

Where it reins, and it is is likely to rein in living systems, because
of their tendency to non-linear positive and negative feedback mechanisms,
it solves the riddle of probability versus inevitability.
It explains what we see everywhere in the living world, non-deterministic
determinism.

You and others have spent a lot of time going into dialectics. I and
others, into chaos theory. They are just too theories which imperfectly
model the wonderfully impossibly rich multifaceted universe.

I was lucky enough to hear a lecture given in Berlin by Mandelbrot in
June 1994. Fortunately for me it was in English, but he ended with
a quotation from Goethe's Faust which I pass on again for you, Hans:

	Grau, teurer Freund, is alle Theorie,
	Und grun des Lebens goldener Baum.