Inevitability in Marx

jones/bhandari djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sun Sep 17 03:18:27 MDT 1995

I am not able to work out comments on Jerry's thoughtful post about the
conception of inevitability im Marx.  I recently came across an excellent
essay entitled "Historical Inevitability"  by John Lewis in his Marxism and
the Open Mind. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1957.  This collection of
essays marveously contradicts the thesis that destalinization led to
right-wing revisionism among Marxists.  I believe that Lewis later had a
debate with Althusser.  That would be interesting to find out more about.

If Lewis were alive today, I think that he could have had a most splendid
debate with Jerry.

Jerry raised another very important point at the end of the post, the
problem of the needs and desires of the human subject in what Marcuse's
student William Leiss in his Limits to Satisfaction has called a
high-intensity market environment.

I have nothing substantive to add to Jerry's post, just wanted to underline
the obvious importance of the questions he has raised.

Rakesh