the poverty of chaos and dialectics

P8475423 at vmsuser.acsu.unsw.EDU.AU P8475423 at vmsuser.acsu.unsw.EDU.AU
Mon Sep 18 03:19:28 MDT 1995

I agree with most of Hans' recent post on this thread. It is true
that chaos can be a child without philosophy; but at the same time,
it is properly embedded in an organic conception of reality, which
means that its proper home is philosophical realism, as Hans commented.

As for the clarification Hans requested:
[I am wondering with respect to the reform\revolt discussion, why Steve
Keen is saying that a small change is safer than a big one, in light of
chaos?]
This is more a point from catastrophe theory (a branch of chaos!);
simply, given such sensitive dependence, I agree that even small
changes can have large unintended effects; but a large change is
bound to have such large unintended effects.

My opinion here also derives from my perspective on dialectics,
which as Hans commented, is a many-headed beast. My perspective
leads me to believe that a lot can be done to improve capitalism
via reforms which strengthen welfare state and workers rights,
and I can support that position using my chaotic analysis, as it
happens. This perspective also stems from the belief that the
"main game" at the moment is providing theoretical support for
those who would oppose the right's push to dismantle every
vestige of the welfare state, in the name of "capitalist
efficiency".
Cheers,
Steve K