Flag wavers.

Matt D. afn02065 at afn.org
Mon Sep 18 10:44:30 MDT 1995

Jamal wrote:

>I have heard that even the Viet-Namese
>Communists advised the American protestors not to burn American flags
>at protests.. but rather to carry them while protesting (why alienate
>Americans needlessly?

Hmm.  I heard/read this same story, but it was the Cubans who were giving
the flag-waving advice.

That makes me wonder whether these stories are historically true, or are
they "legends of the left," maybe resulting from middle-age/middle-class
former student activist disenchantment with their wild youth?

In any event, I think the miserable capitulationism / national chauvinism
("Can't we all just get along" -ism) manifest around the "Support Our
Troops" slogan during the Gulf War calls into question the flag-waving
strategy, whoever (didn't) recommend(ed) it.

-- Matt D.