Chaos theory and dialectics

Chris M. Sciabarra sciabrrc at is2.NYU.EDU
Wed Sep 20 05:48:34 MDT 1995

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Chris Burford wrote:

> Jerry's "Fourth question:
> what is the *specific* relationship between chaos theory
> (in *all* of its variations) and dialectics?
> I think this requires an attempt at an overview of these two theoretical
> approaches in their concrete historical context. It also requires taking
> a marxist epistemological stand that the reality of the universe exists,
> and that all ideas can at best only partially reflect it.
> My dictionary tells me that "dialectics" is derived from the
> exercise by mediaeval church men of structured disputation. (Hence the
> expression about the devil's advocate.) I am not sure to what
> extent through Aristotle or Plato they had connections with the
> Socratic method of disputation, faithfully recorded by Plato.
> Without knowing Aristotle well enough (can Chris S help?) I assume that
> although he was a great synthesiser, his writings show strong evidence
> of the effect of trying to understand reality in a disciplined
> scientific way through looking at different aspects of the situation.

	Good assumption, Chris B!  Aristotle, throughout all his works,
practices a dialectical method of disputation, in that he always studies
a problem from many different vantage points and on many different levels
of generality.  He did however, part from Plato and others, who believed
that only disputation could yield "truth" -- in essence, Aristotle is a
bit more epistemologically realist than that.  However, scholars like
Terence Irwin argue, quite persuasively I think, that Aristotle uses a
"strong dialectic" in arguing for ontological foundations on the basis of
"negative demonstration."
	I enjoyed the rest of this post....