Ayn Rand, obligatory?

Chris M. Sciabarra sciabrrc at is2.NYU.EDU
Wed Sep 20 11:59:04 MDT 1995

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Jim Jaszewski wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Matt D. wrote:
> > Hey, I always thought that reading Robert Heinlen back in grade school
> > exempted me from having to read Ayn Rand as an adult.
> 	I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Besides noting that
> the type of person who's been attracted to Rand's work is basically the
> kind of person who will invariably be on the OTHER side during The
> Revolution, I did attempt to read Atlas Shrugged -- and gave up in
> disgust.
> 	This must've been 20 years ago, but I feel absolutely NO desire to
> read Rand -- I don't even have the time to read the REAL geniuses -- like
> Marx.  I don't know too much about `Objectivism', but I'm sure it has
> stolen from Marxism, and if I _need_ to, I'll find out what I have to know
> about it -- otherwise, _screw_ Ayn Rand and all her disciples.

Jim - Yes.. we've gone down this road before... but I have to say that
while I am not a "disciple," I do think she's had plenty of good to say,
except that I fear at this point, having been called "smug" and a
"smartass," I don't know if I'm up to getting screwed as well.  Gee...
this is starting to feel like a gang-up!  :)
					- Chris
Dr. Chris M. Sciabarra
Visiting Scholar, NYU Department of Politics
INTERNET:  sciabrrc at is2.nyu.edu