TV

Bryan A. Alexander bnalexan at umich.edu
Thu Sep 21 10:38:22 MDT 1995

Actually, I'd rate X-FILES higher than that.  Many episodes have a
Situationist-like subversive quality that directly attacks capital, the
state, and the society of the spectacle.  This goes beyond simple
content.  For example, one episode had an especially silly idea about a
physicist haunted by an admixture of dark matter and his shadow (don't
ask).  The feds, helped by corporations and corp science, track him down
and torture him for the rest of his life, looks like.  He ends up
positioned like the ideal consumer, forced into a stance to watch his own
silhouette; a niftier analogue/attack on reality shows and their ilk I
have not yet seen.  The cannibalism episode, aside from some good jokes,
had a neatswipe at Clinton.  And so on.  The best anyone can hope for
from capital and the state is ignorance, treachery, and accidental
boons.  Sounds about right to me.

Bryan Alexander
Department of English
University of Michigan