Left-Wing Musical Bands

Marc Luzietti mluziett at shrike.depaul.edu
Fri Sep 22 14:11:33 MDT 1995

On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Matt D. wrote:

> Some more suggestions:
>
> Black '47 -- Irish American out of New York  (for those in NYC, I think they
>                     still play Paddy Reilly's (22nd & 9th?), though I
> understand the price
>                     has gone up from $5 to $10.
>
> Killdozer -- Hard rockers whose lyrics aren't as explicitly political as
> their album titles, but hey ...
>
> MDC -- Old-school punks; gotten a little new agey on their last few albums,
> buy who can forget classics like Millions of Dead Cops and John Wayne was a
> Nazi?
>
> and for more punkish fun, check out Jello Biafra w/ DOA.  Tasty!
>
> My friend Lars recently joined the list, maybe he can help me remember some
> more.  Lars?  Are you out there?  Suggestions?
>
> -- Matt D.

	Can we forget Gang of Four, the Dicks, the Dead Kenedies, X, at
least one good political song from Temple of the Dog, the Godfathers, and
our local political band, Die Warzaw? If we want to get into heavy metal
there's Black Sabbath, Living color, and Queensryche's "Operation
Mindcrime."  Of course, the original poster was asking about hip-hop. And
Jamal gave a damn good list. But there's so much more out there. I could
go on an on, but I don't have my music handy. :)

Marc Luzietti