Detroit strike

Maoist Internationalist Movement mim3 at nyxfer.blythe.org
Sat Sep 23 18:48:16 MDT 1995

On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Walter Daum wrote:

> Thanks to Bryan Alexander for forwarding those first-hand reports on the
> Detroit newspaper strike. Much appreciated, and please continue.
>
> They do raise a question for MIM, I would think. Since most of the strikers
> battling the cops and capitalists seem to be white, does that mean their
> strike is not to be supported? Especially since (as I read elsewhere) that
> the owners have brought in Mexicans as scabs.

MIM replies: This is where anti-MIMerism leads--to attacks on foreign
workers. It's in the line of the anti-GATT and anti-NAFTA CPUSA
and other similar organizations. There are so many things that
journalists could be doing and real Marxists could be doing
to lead the journalists, but instead they go down this path that
INEVITABLY leads to social-chauvinism in the current context,
a fight over the re-division of surplus-value.

If the imperialists brought in maybe 100 million Mexican
and other Third World "scabs," then maybe we could go back
to talking about exploited white workers and unite the working
class and that stuff. Right now, "labor" organizing provides
some of the shocktroops for the restrictions of immigration
being imposed by the imperialists including Clinton who just cut legal
immigration by a third, partly in response to the kind of
"labor" movement Daum is talking about.

> Either MIM's theory or the class struggle has to give.

"The class struggle" according to Daum is something that
doesn't even target the state. Even if we presume that these
workers are exploited, which they aren't, Engels would say
they have yet to advance class struggle "one iota."

When the various chavinists DO speak out to lead the
workers against the government,
they call for closing the borders, opposing
GATT and opposing NAFTA, just like the KKK did at a recent rally
by the way.

The other thing to raise is how heated is this conflict? And how typical?
The bourgeoisie has its own in-house fights, but they
never lead anywhere for the proletariat in themselves
except when the bourgeois factions kill each other and leave a
vacuum.

Likewise, 99% of the time the labor aristocracy negotiates
with the imperialists. Another 44 one-hundreds of one percent
of the time, they go to strikes using physical force.
The remainder of situations where the labor aristocracy
actually moves against the state it is not in a
proletarian direction.

Meanwhile, in the Third World, the state imprisons people
for organizing or kills them regularly and the classes
really do engage in class struggle, not class collaboration
or negotiation.

>From time to time the bourgeoisie sends its members to
country-club prisons with regard to its intra-class
fighting--Watergate, Iran-Contra, how to embezzle etc.
How does this Detroit struggle compare with that?

Pat for MIM