Marxist Sociology Section of the ASA (fwd)

Jackie Carrigan carrigan at rastro.Colorado.EDU
Mon Sep 25 00:56:40 MDT 1995

To the Marxism List:

	I am a graduate student in sociology and a member of the
American Sociological Association's Marxist Theory Section.  We are in a
crunch to bring our numbers up or we will lose sessions at the next
meeting.  This is a plea to all the sociologists on this list to
consider joining the section.  A description of the session and instructions
on joining follow.  If you are interested, please join as soon as possible.
Thank you,
Jacqueline Carrigan
University of Colorado, Boulder

I am sending this message as part of the recruitment drive for the Marxist
section of the American Sociological Association (ASA).  At the time of the
ASA meeting held on August 19-23, we had 374 members.  We need 400 members by
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
september 30th to get another session on the program for next year.  In
the long run, the section is setting its sights on a membership level of
600 members by September 1996 (that would give the section 4 sessions on
the program).

Remember, the deadline is September 30.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cordially,

Martha E. Gimenez
gimenez at csf.colorado.edu

                           MARXIST SOCIOLOGY SECTION

The Section of Marxist Sociology is concerned with developing Marxist
analysis as a method of scientific and scholarly research within sociology.
Marxist analysis is not seen as focused on a specific aspect of social life,
but rather as a method for analysis of the dynamics of social change, with an
emphasis on the interplay of economic, social, and political factors.  This
method involves a dialectical interaction between theory, method, and
practice.

The Section on Marxist Sociology facilitates the work of its members in
several ways.  First, at our sessions at the ASA Annual meetings,
sociologists with similar theoretical concerns meet for an interchange of
ideas, research findings, and experiences in teaching and applying Marxist
sociological perspectives in and out of the classroom.  Second, the Marxist
Sociology Section assists in the development of resources for teaching and
research which enhance the contribution of Marxist perspectives to the
sociological enterprise.  Third, the Section encourages the development of
local and regional activities by serving as a medium of communication among
persons interested in Marxist analysis throughout the country.  Finally, the
Section encourages the publication and distribution of Marxist sociological
theory and research bearing on Marxist perspectives.

Why Join The Marxist Sociology Section?

      1.  Members of the Marxist Sociology Section receive our
          frequently published newsletter, which contains extensive
          information on Marxist concerns.  The newsletter includes
          information about works in progress, important new
          books, information about conferences, and other issues of
          concern to Marxist sociologists.

      2.  Members may present papers in the sessions and
          participate in roundtables and other activities sponsored by
          the Marxist Sociology Section at the annual ASA
          meetings.

      3.  Through the Marxist Sociology Section, members can
          help influence the ASA to make it a more responsible
          professional organization.  The more members, the more
          sessions the Marxist Section can have at the annual ASA
          meetings.

How Can I Join The Marxist Sociology Section?

      If you are a member of the American Sociological
      Association, you can easily become a member of our Section.
      Use the form on the reverse side of this brochure to inform the
      ASA that you want to be a member of the Marxist Sociology
      Section.  Alternatively, when you renew your ASA
      membership, check the box for the Marxist Sociology Section.
      Dues for the Section are only $10 per year for employed
      sociologists, and $7 for students and unemployed.

      If you do not belong to the American Sociological
      Association, we invite you to join both it and our Section.
      Use the form on the reverse side to request information
      concerning membership in the ASA (which has a sliding scale
      according to income) and our Section.  Or call the ASA at
      (202) 833-3410.

-------------------------------------CLIP---------------------------------------

To:  American Sociological Association
     1722 N. Street N.W.
     Washington, D.C.  20036

     From:     _______________________________

               _______________________________

               _______________________________

____ I am an ASA member, and want to join the
     Marxist Sociology Section.  Enclosed is a
     check for $10.00 for Section dues for this
     year.  (or $7.00 for students and unemployed)

____ I am not an ASA member, but I am interested
     in joining the Marxist Sociology Section.
     Please send me information about membership
     in both the ASA and the Marxist Sociology
     Section.

Make checks payable to the American Sociological Association

-------------------------------------CLIP---------------------------------------

Art Jipson
Department of Sociology, Gerontology, and Anthropology
Upham Hall
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-2637
jipson_art at msmail.muohio.edu or JIPSONAJ at MUOHIO.EDU
http://www.lib.muohio.edu/~skimmel/jipson/jipsonpage.html
NCSOCA page: http://www.lib.muohio.edu/~skimmel/ncsa/
 The Page of the North Central Sociological Association