Kirkpatrick Sale Article: "UNABOMBER'S SECRET TREATISE"

Dave Coull D.Y.COULL at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Sep 25 08:41:09 MDT 1995

> his general arguments against industrial society and its consequences
>are quite similar to those I have recently put forth in a book on
>the people who might be said to have begun this tradition, the
>Luddites.

Here it is again, the assumption that the Luddites were against
technology as such. Historically speaking, what the Luddite
movement (and there is plenty of evidence that it WAS a mass
movement, and quite well organised considering how primitive
communications were in those days) was technology being
introduced by the boss class, which was putting them out of
work and driving them into greater poverty and misery.