Kirkpatrick Sale Article: "UNABOMBER'S SECRET TREATISE"

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Mon Sep 25 13:37:12 MDT 1995

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Dave Coull wrote:

> Here it is again, the assumption that the Luddites were against
> technology as such. Historically speaking, what the Luddite
> movement (and there is plenty of evidence that it WAS a mass
> movement, and quite well organised considering how primitive
> communications were in those days) was technology being
> introduced by the boss class, which was putting them out of
> work and driving them into greater poverty and misery.

Louis:
The original Luddites were a spontaneous revolt against capitalist
oppression. "Neo-Luddites" like Kirkpatrick Sale are not much better than
the Unabomber politically. As a matter of fact, in his "critique" of the
Unabomber's manifesto, Sale tended to agree with some of the Unabomber's
core beliefs: that industrialization rather than the underlying economic
system is the problem; that we need to return to a simpler life, etc.
Sale is Dave Dellinger to the Unabomber's Mark Rudd. (How's that for
obscure historical analogies!)