Re Lunacharsky

Chris M. Sciabarra sciabrrc at is2.NYU.EDU
Tue Sep 26 14:13:45 MDT 1995

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Jj Plant wrote:

> I recently became the joint owner of a set of Lunacharsky's works,
> published in Moscow in 1967. I'm pretty sure it is not complete, but it
> is extensive (8 volumes with a long supplementary volume of
> correspondence between Lenin and Lunacharsky).
> I am examining this material with a view to preparing a proposal for
> publishing a selection of previously untranslated material. I should be
> very grateful if anybody on this list can provide me with any information
> on the following :
> 1. Data on Lunacharsky material already available in English (quite a lot
> appeared in magazines in the 1920s and early 1930s and is not properly
> covered in bibliographies).
> 2. Data on any theses or dissertations on Lunacharsky, or closely related
> topics, or work in progress on such
> 3. The present location of Sheila Fitzpatrick, who wrote "The
> Commissariat of Enlightenment" about Lunacharsky's work as Commissar
> Thanks in advance for any information.

I am not quite sure where Fitzpatrick can be found, but I use her work
extensively in part one of AYN RAND:  THE RUSSIAN RADICAL.  I uncovered
quite a bit of interesting historical information about Lunacharsky and
the effects of Narkompros on the University of Petrograd during the
Silver Age period (post-Revolution).  You might want to check out my
book, and its extensive bibliography for any additional sources on the
most fascinating subject.  By the way, you might also wish to take a look
at Fitzpatrick's book on EDUCATION AND SOCIAL MOBILITY IN THE SOVIET
UNION, 1921-1934 (Cambridge, 1979), and her edited volume with
Rabinowitch and Stites, RUSSIA IN THE ERA OF NEP:  EXPLORATIONS IN SOVIET
SOCIETY AND CULTURE (Indiana, 1991).  All very good historical works.
			- Chris
Dr. Chris M. Sciabarra, Visiting Scholar, NYU Department of Politics
INTERNET:  sciabrrc at is2.nyu.edu