Hippity hoppity -- research.

Matt D. afn02065 at afn.org
Wed Sep 27 12:03:06 MDT 1995

>From: BOCOBO at SONOMA.EDU
>Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 13:05:21 -0700 (PDT)
>Subject: research topic
>
>Hi, I'm a student at Sonoma State university in California and I'm
>doing a research paper on class consciousness.  My topic is on the
>commodification of inner city class consciousness, vis a vis rap
>songs, movies, etc.  I'm interested in studying who profits from
>the selling of this "hip-hop" culture, and if these profits are
>invested back into the community i.e. schools, jobs, health care
>etc...  I'm searching for any literature that I can use for my
>research.  I'd appreciate any suggestions or resources I can get.
>Thanks!

You might check out the stuff at:

gopher://corn.cso.niu.edu:70/00/acad_dept/col_of_las/dept_soci/SSSI/rock/papers

particularly

"Music's Worst Nightmare: 'By Any Means Necessary'"
by Jeffrey Norman, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

This version of this paper was originally presented as a paper at a
conference on rock music and theory, "RockIn Theory," at the
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana in February of 1994. Any
quotations should cite this discussion list ("Rocklist":
ROCKLIST at KENTVM.KENT.EDU) and, of course, the author.

Jeffrey Norman
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Dept. of English & Comp. Lit.
e-mail: jenor at csd.uwm.edu