"incentives" and The Dispossessed

P8475423 at vmsuser.acsu.unsw.EDU.AU P8475423 at vmsuser.acsu.unsw.EDU.AU
Fri Sep 29 18:37:46 MDT 1995

Lisa's little note:
(Even my "light" reading is serious stuff lately.  Steve, I checked
out that calculus book, but Ursula is a bit more engaging at the
moment.)
is fine by me, since I think I was the one who recommended Le Guin
in the first place! It is a book that I have bought perhaps ten
times, given away as often, and read maybe 3 or 4 times. It is
a superb fictional account of how authoritarian tendencies can
come to dominate even a society designed along anarchist lines
(and even lacking a Stalin to so pervert the design, as Louis
so eloquently pointed out was Stalin's impact on planning in
the USSR).

Mind you, she does suggest something close to a cure, as Lisa
I think is about to read--but it's a cure that leads to Takver's
effective expulsion from Annares.

Happy reading. The calculus can wait.
Cheers,
Steve