Stalin, planning and the libertarian critique

Chris M. Sciabarra sciabrrc at is2.NYU.EDU
Sat Sep 30 15:47:49 MDT 1995

On Sat, 30 Sep 1995 glevy at acnet.pratt.edu wrote:

> Chris S. wrote:
> Thus far,   however, I think the market has proven to be the best
> mechanism--however   distorted it has been--in providing the goods and
> services that people want and need.
> A couple of minor details that Chris forgot to mention:
> 1) Your ability to satisfy material needs and wants depends on whether
> you have the money to purchase those commodities. If you do not have the
> money, then the market does not work very well. And how do most people
> get the money that they need to satisfy their wants and needs? By working
> for capitalists as wage slaves.

	Depends on which commodities we're talking about; some are far
higher priced due to inflation or price supports (both of which, I've
argued, are political in origin.)

> 2) If we let capitalists decide how and what commodities should be
> produced, without state intervention, we will all be dead (or worse)!
> What would the environment be like without state regulation? Would there
> even be an environment?
> Jerry
	Considering that the most deadly products (nuclear weapons) have
come from state intervention, and my own belief that privatization can
force owners into accountability by internalizing externalities, I think
a market might make for a healthier environment than a non-market system.

				- Chris
Dr. Chris M. Sciabarra, Visiting Scholar, NYU Department of Politics