Stalin, planning and the libertarian critique

Chris M. Sciabarra sciabrrc at is2.NYU.EDU
Sat Sep 30 18:29:39 MDT 1995

On Sat, 30 Sep 1995 glevy at acnet.pratt.edu wrote:

> If the nuclear energy industry was privatized without government
> regulation, do you really think that would result in a "healthier
> environment"? The very idea sends shivers down my spine.

	Yes, Jerry... it sends shivers down my spine as well!  But if the
nuclear energy industry had to depend upon private insurance rather than
the Price Anderson Act which limits liability, and if the industry had to
rely upon market forces, odds are that smart investors would run in the
other direction, and fast!

	Jeez... please understand that when I talk of privatization, I am
not saying "a nuclear weapon in everyone's backyard"!  State insurance
and liability limitation severs the industry from market determinations
of risk; by socializing risk and keeping profits private, the industry is
a fine example of neofascism at work, and an even finer example of how
threatening to all of our lives such a system is.
				- Chris

Dr. Chris M. Sciabarra, Visiting Scholar, NYU Department of Politics