psychopathology

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 3 09:08:03 MST 1996

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, hariette spierings wrote:

> Hopefully, it will not take too long to dispose of his pathetic challenge.
> Let him lay his witches brews on the table, and we will show how
> anti-Marxist, anti-Leninist and preposterous his whole analysis and method
> actually is.  We should respect these teachers by negative example and let
> them give us the lesson in such a way that we, by our efforts, can turn into
> a service to the people's cause and the world revolution.  You shall see.
> Lets keep doing positive things until he reveals the reactionary essence of
> his very soul, then will flay him!.

"Faith in time lacks the sense of sudden change. It substitutes
expectations that 'in due time' everything will come out all right.
Conflicts, which one feels unable to resolve oneself, are expected to be
resolved by time.... Faith in time is found especially frequently with
respect to one's aown achievements. People not only consle themselves over
their unperformed performances, but also over not preparing for the
performance by persuading themselves that they have so much time left and
that there is no reason to hurry...."

-- Erich Frommm, Zum Gefühl der Ohnmacht, quoted in T.W. Adorno, "The Stars
Down to Earth," Telos, Spring 1974, pp. 44-45.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer