class system in Adolfo thought was Re: Red Referendum

g.maclennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu Apr 4 00:12:11 MST 1996

>>On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, hariette spierings wrote:
>
>In fact, in whatever other historical circunstance, what appears to you as a
>"betrayal" and a crime is nothing of the sort.  On the contrary, the
>subordination of the interests proper of the proletariat and its class
>struggle to the LONG TERM interests of the oppressed masses and other
>non-proletarian classes of the people -including the LONG TERM INTERESTS OF
>THE INDIVIDUALS OF THE OPPRESSOR CLASS, is a fundamental threat running
>through Marxism from the time of the Manifesto.

We are in the presence here of nothing less than a piece of *revisionism*.
It is disguised of course by wooly thinking, and the rhetoric of abuse.  The
historic mission of the Proletariat is the emancipation of humanity.  That
much is classic marxist thought.  But Adolfo thought seems to make a
distinction here between the "proper" interests of the working class and
their interests as a universal class.

There is also implicit in the slide from classes to "masses"  a switch from
marxism to populism.  But that might be too subtle  a point for our Great
Thinker.

At work here is of course the Maoist fetishisation of the role of the
peasantry.  Also too in Chairman Adolfo's talk of "the long term interests
of the individuals of the oppressor class" There are dim echoes, very dim,
of the popular front strategy of alliances with sections of the bourgeoisie.
All bad news for the working class of course.  But what's new in Stalinism?

>Whatever you say, about Spain, the United Front, etc. is only going to be
>workerist rubbish.

I know the great Adolfo is not anxious to answer questions at the moment,
and is holding on desperately to the delete button but it would help if he
would enlighten us with what he means by "workerism".

regards

Gary
g.maclennan
school of media & journalism