A plea for peaceful coexistence

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 5 05:46:18 MST 1996

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, hariette spierings wrote:

> Only to put an end to a feud which I did not want in the first place, on the
> strenght of a rather haughty semi-apology on your part, I will not yet shake
> hands with you however much I would want to, if only by that act you were to
> take a firm stand on the side of the revolutionary people. The ball is in
> your court, Mr. Proyect.

Louis:

I will make these points once and I will not make them again. When I post
again, it will not be about Peru or Stalin, but about issues much closer
to my current interests.

1) There can be no "winners" or "losers" on this list. Unrelenting
factional war is not necessary. This list must be a place where all ideas
can be exchaned without rancor. If Adolfo needs somebody to blame, I take
full blame for any harmful divisions that have emerged, but I don't think
it's useful at this point to engage in finger-pointing.

2) Maoism is an important current that must be respected and listened to,
even if its ideas are held by only a single person. Maoism addresses a
very real problem in Marxism: the failure of the working-class in the
advanced countries to act in a consistently revolutionary fashion as
projected by Marx and Engels.

3) This list must be a place where people are assumed to be innocent until
they are proven guilty, whether they are Maoist, Trotskyist or whatever.
Maoists should be able to exchange ideas with Maoists in a productive
manner and Trotskyists should be able to do the same. Both camps should
also be able to engage with each other without rancorous accusations.

At this point, I consider myself out of the loop on all of the divisive
questions that have created a charged atmosphere in the list. I am done
discussing Peru. I am done discussing Trotsky versus Stalin. I am done
discussing Mao.

Any attempt to draw me into these types of explosive questions will be
resisted by silence. If I am provoked, however, I will respond.