democracy & imperialism

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 5 11:29:07 MST 1996

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Rahul Mahajan wrote:

> The power of the British government over India was a joke compared to that
> of the current government, even though India is now much more free than it
> was then. The fair-sized middle class that has great opportunities looming
> in front of it combined with the modern armament and fairly well-treated
> military force in all of these countries will prove a far stronger
> deterrent to revolution than the old elite classes ever were.

Louis: This reminds me. There's an extremely disturbing article in the
current Nation magazine on prostitution and AIDS in India. The reporter,
Mark Cooper, says that medical experts predict that India will have the
number one occurrence of AIDS in the world before too long. It appears
that the Indian mafia controls the brothels and the bourgeois parties are
funded by the mafia. Nobody in the ruling class parties seems willing to
take this crisis on.