OPEN LETTER TO M1 LIST

SCOTT R MCLEMEE MCLEMEE at mail.loc.gov
Fri Apr 5 15:42:17 MST 1996

          Everybody --

          I  have posted three or four prank notes written in Maoist jargon
          circa 1975.  The wit was not there, yet I have to say it  was fun
          to write.  At least  a couple of  you  took  it  quite seriously.
          This is unfortunately not surprising.  But  I  am ending the run.
          The reason has little to do with the joke itself, such as it was,
          which seems to  be pretty appropriate to the list now.  Rather, I
          don't want to contribute to an environment which is already being
          permeated by messages sent  by people who  are playing games with
          M1.

          It might  be interesting if someone gathered up  all  the messges
          from "veronica"  et  al. list-members have  received.   I  bet  a
          peculiar profile would turn up.

          Hell, I'm going off to M2 now, and will only post the most deadly
          serious things evermore.

          Scott McLemee