The Shining List

maclennan at redash.qut.edu.au maclennan at redash.qut.edu.au
Sat Apr 6 03:22:25 MST 1996

Comrade Doug has described the list as a "nut house" and bade me welcome.
It is indeed like bedlam.  Not since the Moscow trials has their been
such an outpouring of stalinist filth and abuse. Being here reminds me of

Dico che arrivammo ad una landa
Che dal sou letto ogni pianta rimove.
La dolorosa selva l'e ghrilanda
Intorno, come 'l fosso tristo ad essa.
D'anime nude vidi, molte gregge,
Che piangean tutte,  assai miseramente,
E parea posta lor diversa legge.
Sovra tutto 'l sabbion d' un cader lento
Piovean di foco dilatate falde,
Come di neve in alpe sanza vento.

Why am I here then? Well I have returned mostly out of anger at the vulgqar
triumphalism of the Maoists. "Great victory" indeed.  I was determined
to show them in the words of the great American philosopher. Yogi Berra,
that "It ain't over till it's over."

But I must confess that I began to get second thoughts about
Comrade Proyect whacking into some poor meshuggener from the Third World.
Olaechea is no match for Louis Proyect.  The latter is a hard man in an
argument and takes no prisoners. Olaechea may be blessed with bluff,
bluster and bombast in generous amounts, but they provide little defence
against historical fact and analysis.  It is not a pretty sight seeing
anyone getting so thumped as Olaechea has been and the fight has only
begun.

However all is changed, change utterly by the revelation of Olaechea's
noble lineage.  Why so? well my mother's people were landless Irish
peasants.  The
kind of folk that Olaechea describes as the "oppressed masses".  I had an
aunt for instance who went into service in England.  She died of
consumption in a poverty stricken slum in the Great Depression.  My mother
still cries when
she talks about her.  I won't bore the list with the details of my own
upbringing.  Suffice to say that it has left me with and abiding hatred
for my "social betters".

However now we know all.  Close your eyes in holy dread.  We are in the
presence of none other than that exalted personage Don Adolfo Olaechea,
Knight of the Shining Path, come on to this list to lecture us on the
oppressed.  The revolutionary aristo surrounded by the sighing sycophants
and backed up by his loyal retainer Louis Godena in the role of Henchman
to the Oligarchy.

No wonder Don Adolfo expected us to be grateful and to kiss his ring or
something.

Strike this poseur down, Lou.  Smite him hip and thigh.

Regards

Gary