revision of book summary of PCP

zodiac zodiac at interlog.com
Wed Apr 10 15:14:59 MDT 1996

Hey Bark --

Let's not get off on the wrong foot, here. I was _impressed_. I'd thought
I'd seen it all on the net, but this was a first. You are charting out
interesting new Internet territory!

Being a plugged-in, hip Internet guy, perhaps you could include a little
"class involvement" section at the back of your text. Something that helps
teachers get students involved with the Information SooperHighway and its
effect on the economic system. It would greatly increase the marketability
of your textbook.

I know, I know -- you are a busy man, compiling rewrites of academic
textbooks by asking non-academic mailing lists to help you write passages.
So let me help! We gotta lend each other a helping hand in this tough
economy!

    Comparative Economic Systems in a Transforming World Economy
    TEACHER'S INTERACTIVITY GUIDE:

    As part of our attempt to bring the classroom into the Info Age, the
    authors have compiled some possible interactive experiments. Inquire
    about coordinating these ideas with your computer science department.
    One terminal for each three students would suffice.

    1. As an interesting "class assignment" teachers should have students
    track the authors in cyberspace and chart how many times they use this
    academic textbook as some sort of weapon in little flame wars. Compile
    data. Chart. Project that data into the future and measure against
    actual incidence. Discuss.

    2. As an interesting "class assignment" teachers should have students
    track the author to determine how often the data from posts in
    newsgroups/mailing lists in which the authors participate show up as
    content in the textbook. Compile data. Chart. Project that data into
    the future and measure against new rewrites. Discuss.

    3. As an interesting "class assignment," have students deliver these
    assignments to the 1) provost, 2) the book publisher, 3) a few
    Internet columnists who are always looking for new story ideas. Chart
    the various reactions. Discuss.

Hope that helps!

Ken.