Coming Plague

Brian Carnell briand at carnell.com
Tue Apr 16 20:06:19 MDT 1996

On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 08:08:10 -0400 (EDT), Louis N Proyect
<lnp3 at columbia.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, rakesh bhandari wrote:
>
>> topic: has anyone read Laurie Garrett's The Coming Plague?  Any comments?
>>

>Louis: I have the Garrett book at home and plan to read it as soon as I
>can find some time. (It is over 600 pages). I would also recommend
>Richard Preston's "The Hot Zone" which is about the environmental changes
>that have led to Ebola.

Garrett's explanation of some of the environmental/political changes
that might have led to Ebola and HIV emerging are much more nuanced
and IMO complete than Preston's (especialy because she is more
forthcoming about just how speculative all of this is).

Brian Carnell                   http://www.net-link.net/~briand/
briand at carnell.com