Lenin's b'day

Brian Carnell briand at carnell.com
Wed Apr 24 03:55:26 MDT 1996

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:46:40 -0400, dhenwood at panix.com (Doug Henwood)
wrote:

>Many "radical" enviros are
>fundamentally misanthropic - they think that humans *are* the problem, and
>only a radical reduction in our numbers (many deep ecologists think the
>ideal global population would be somewhere between 100 million and 1
>billion, down from the present 6-something billion) will save the earth.
>This is not a Marxist view.

It is the Marxist result however.  Clearly Stalin and Mao were a lot
better at getting rid of human beings than we capitalists have been.

>>Or could it be that people just realized what a success the Soviet
>>Union's environmental policy was (can someone say Chernobyl?)
>
>Lay off this cheap trick of deflecting all criticism of capitalism by
>saying the Soviets were worse! Even Jesus held this to be a lousy
>rhetorical strategy.

The Soviets were not only worse, it was because they adopted a Marxist
system of government that inevitably led them to produce worse
results.

In the U.S. which is nominally a capitalist country, the state is also
the biggest polluter in the nation.  The difference is we don't give
the state the sort of power the Bolsheviks gave to their state.

Brian Carnell                   http://www.net-link.net/~briand/
briand at carnell.com