Adolfo as hoax

B Mayer concrete at idiom.com
Wed Apr 24 23:53:51 MDT 1996

hariette spierings wrote:

> >Now I let the cat out of the bag.  I hope Adolfo does not feel
> >betrayed because I have so little confidence that my dialogue with him
> >will ultimately lead to agreement.  I would like to push this dialogue as
> >far as it can go, and I do not know where the major points of
> >contention will be, but once we know where they are, we can take stock
> >and jointly analyze what causes the impasse.  If Adolfo at some point
> >will brand me as a fascist and counterrevolutionary, then I know
> >that we have reached this point.  But Adolfo has been listening to this
> >list very carefully, and I think that on some level he knows that
> >I am not his enemy, but that ultimately we fight for the same
> >cause.
> >

> Dear Hans:
>
> Thanks for your high opinion about my "smarts". It is no good to have your
> head "swollen" you know, one must always let it cool off for a while after
> that!
>
> I hope indeed that I won't dissapoint you or any other serious member of
> this list, and that we can both, as well as others who have willingness to
> listen and think about what is being said, that we have the intellectual
> integrity not to jump to conclussions but to give things enough time to sink in.
>
> It is impossible not to be one sided at all in arguing any case. However,
> this is much more marked when debates heat up and class interests are
> directly and sharply involved.  As Lenin said:  "...if geometrical axioms
> affected human interests attempts will certainly be made to refute them".
>
> There are many themes that relate to the concerns of members of the list
> that we cannot deal but in a one sided manner - by the statement of general
> principles - at present.  And this will be so for a time, since the path of
> understanding should not be to bombard each other with questions of a
> secondary nature - although they may appear as of a primary nature for those
> SECTIONS who are directly affected by a problem in particular - in relation
> to the bigger picture these are still indeed questions of a secondary nature.
>
> That is not to deny their importance, just to give them the right
> perspective. For example, there is the question of sexuality and sexual
> relationships, which for me is a secondary question but for others,
> obviously, is a primary one. On this, I have already stated the general
> principles.  General principles are there to be applied, and it is on their
> application that one must judge their validity for any concrete situation.
>
> This kind of subjects cannot be helped at present, except by re-stating some
> principles relating to the condition of membership of any Communist Party in
> general.  That only answers part of the question - I am aware.  But the
> question of, in any case, only a tiny minority in this list being willing or
> able to be members of a Communist Party of the type I describe, hardly
> [...]

Your quasi-confessional bureacratese will not contribute one iota to a
Marxist understanding of anything - instead it is an impenetrable
barrier to be swept down the flushhole.

Others: note the (typically stalinist) undertone of grovelling obsequity
in this quite remarkable passage of Adolpho Os'.  The remaining
intellectuals on this list should be all over this with a psychological
analysis.  Stalinism-Maoism etc., is best understood as a form of
political psychopathology, and, as I have argued before on this l*st, is
most meaningfully understood with this approach.  It is also the best
antidote to their assault on this l*st, far better than any attempt to
lend an air of seriousness to their ridiculous political assertions by
any direct political address.

So, any analyses of said above passage?

			-Brad Mayer