Reply to: Re: Capitalist collectivizatio

boddhisatva kbevans at panix.com
Thu Apr 25 09:32:38 MDT 1996

		Mr. Proyect,

	You wrote:

"

>         First, my understanding is that the trend in hog farming, whether
> private or corporate, is towards indoor facilities with lots of swine.

Louis: What happens to the doody from these indoor dwelling pigs? Do the
pigs sit on a toilet and does the doody goes through indoor plumbing to a
septic tank? Or does it simply go into the rivers? What do you think?

>         Environmental abuse is hardly limited to the corporate farming
> concern.  They just have more resources to protect themselves from
> litigation.

Louis: Do you have any numbers on who abuses the environment and to what
extent? Or are you allergic to facts and statistics?

>         You said it - collectivization.  That does not mean the "family
> farm".  That means running agriculture as a business owned by the much
larger
> community - a true "publicly-held corporation".

Louis: No, we don't need to run agriculture as a business. Business means
profit and we have to eliminate the profit motive. The profit motive is
what is destroying the environment. Production has to be geared to human
needs and within a ecological context that is sustainable. Anything else
won't work."

	First, my point was that the "family farm" pigs' shit doesn't smell
any sweeter or drain any cleaner than the agri-business manure, neither did
the family farm DDT, and the family farm ALAR had the same effect as on
agri-business apples.   I don't need statistics when I have incontrovertible
common sense.

	This hippie obsession with taking away the naughty "profit motive" is
very charming, but I think that the farmer who is locked in to a way of life
is, if anything, going to be MORE inclined to get yield "by any means
necessary".

	We don't grow wheat to do the earth any favors, comrade.

	peace