Reply to: Re: The Professors' Plaintive

Jon Flanders 72763.2240 at compuserve.com
Sat Apr 27 21:35:13 MDT 1996

 >> Dialectically, though, we have to support these academic wailers in their
struggle. <<Sally Ryan

 Jon Flanders:

  Yes indeed we should. It can be amusing to poke fun at academics, but from
the point of view of capital, its all the same thing, ie depressing the price
of labor. It makes little difference to the ruling class whether they are
skimming from autoworkers who directly create surplus value, or from the
academic that trains the engineers of the future who will refine the skimming
process.

  Someone like Lenin welcomed anyone who protested against capital's
machinations and exploitation. So should we.

  Unionists understand the importance of seniority. That is all tenure is in
the academy. I know the railroad corporations are coming after their workers
full bore on this. I welcome a challenge to this assault from any direction.
Down with casual labor!

  E-mail from: Jonathan E. Flanders, 27-Apr-1996