Capitalist collectivization. (fwd)

Ryan at bitstream.mpls.mn.us Ryan at bitstream.mpls.mn.us
Sun Apr 28 09:30:45 MDT 1996

Boddhisatva:
>Do we have nothing to add to an analysis of peasantry over 100
>years old?  American farmers aren't peasants!  The age of peasantry is
>over.  That is the problem modern peasants face.  Danish folk songs,
>probably 200 years old are very nice, but modern agricultural producers
>are trying to make their money in a global marketplace.  Corn producers in
>any country have to contend with world corn prices as a fact of life, no
>matter where they are.  Talking about 1800's European peasantry may be
>informative, but ignoring the facts of the modern, capitalist economy is
>not.

Contemporary farmers and farm workers are not mirror counterparts of Marx's
analysis of the French peasantry but it shows how historically these groups
allied with their contradictory and complex class interests. That the
conservative segment was dominated by ideologically by clerics and thus
supported the Bonaparte regimes is extremely relevant today. So is this verse
of a Danish folksong Ken posted:

> There lies Herr Tiddman, he streams with blood,
>    But the plough goes free on the black soil.
>    The pigs go free in the fattening woods.
>        That all the Sueder people praise.

Probably not what a capitalist sings when they pack up the kids in the
minivan and head to the Hamptons.

Sally

PS--A documentary on the history of barns was on TV the other night. There
was a folklorist that was trying to determine the origins of why barns are
painted red. He speculated that the idea came from farmers mixing iron
filings into white paint in order to make it stronger. Old farmers explained
that they used red paint because it was the cheapest available. Paint
distributors claimed that red paint was cheaper because the farmers used so
much of it they could get a volume discount. Go figure.