Russian imperialism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 1 18:25:27 MDT 1996

At 11:06 PM 8/1/96, Hugh Rodwell wrote:

>Doug wrote:
>
>>They're free riders on U.S. imperialism.
>
>A couple of things.
>
>Sweden has a powerful military setup and its own arms industry -- Bofors,
>SAAB aviation, Celsius (defence material and systems), Kockums submarines,
>etc.
>
>It also has a long and gory tradition of military intervention around the
>Baltic. Swedish troops (mainly in fact Finnish cannon fodder) were renowned
>during the Thirty Years War in Central Europe for their sullen brutality.
>
>Gentle as a bear-trap. Not much of a 'free' ride for that matter, either.

Ok, sorry, so I overstated things. The lesser OECD powers are no angels
either. But there's not much doubt who the main enforcer of the global
hierarchy is, is there? Would the North have incomes 5, 10, 50 times the
South if it weren't for the U.S. nuclear arsenal? I don't think imperialism
could defend itself on SAABs alone.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood