Live (cough!) like me!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Aug 3 12:35:58 MDT 1996

At 1:00 PM 8/3/96, Hugh Rodwell wrote:

>Stop avoiding the issues, Doug. I'm asking for your view of why people are
>hooked on socially destructive desires and what should be done about it.
>
>Some people 'like' doing very damaging and destructive things to very young
>children and then make a profit out of filming it. Would you cheer them on
>because they are realizing 'the lineaments of gratified desire'?
>
>Should the nicotine & tar pushers be encouraged because they give their
>customers what they want?
>
>And what would you do about that meeting in a smoke-filled room?
>
>These aren't abstract questions. They're issues that are present every day
>in our own experience or close at hand.

Smoking is socially destructive in the same sense as kiddie porn and
reactionary politics? Get a grip, Hugh. Filling a room with smoke directly
involves others, who may object to it; filling one's own lungs with smoke
is one of those things that some humans will always do, whether you like it
or not.

As William Osler famously said, the desire to take medicine is one of the
things that distinguishes humans from animals. Such "medicines" need not be
of the sort prescribed by doctors.

Marx smoked, didn't he?

Doug

--