low intensity warfare

rakesh bhandari djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 5 03:22:02 MDT 1996

First, I would like to agree with Zeynep's analysis of the nature of the
so-called democratic revolution in the Phillipines.  I learned much about
the limits of this transition from Walden Bello, who is now director of
Food First in San Francisco. Bello also contributed an essay to a
collection edited by Michael Klare years ago on low intensity warfare.

 >May I take this opportunity to ask if any list member has any views about
>"Low Intensity Warfare" strategy?

There is a recent work entitled "The Militarization of the United
States-Mexico Border" by a sociologist at the University of Texas at
Austin; his thesis is that the low intensity warfare techniques honed in
Latin America are now being transplanted to the border.

At this point, it is clear that there is a high intensity incarceration
strategy within the United States.  I would recommend Jerome Miller's
Search and Destroy: African American Males in the Criminal Justice System.
Cambridge University Press, 1996.

Also, there is now a major push for a major anti-terrorism bill which will
be a major blow to civil liberties.   On a talking head show today, Senator
Orrin Hatch claimed that officially there are now 1500 terrorist groups
operating in the US.

Given the omnibus conception of terrorism that Hatch's paranoid estimate
reveals (host David Brinkley seemed to be skeptical as well), it seems to
me that Hatch is not so much worried about a few militant Islamic groups,
another unabomber or even a few unabubbas--as much as forms of direct
action  among the masses.

It is not forgotten here that even pacifist religious Central American
solidarity and sanctuary groups have been targets of FBI probes.

It does seem that opposition to this anti-terrorism bill will unite
radicals from the right and left.

Rakesh