gastarbeiters

ROSSERJB at jmu.edu ROSSERJB at jmu.edu
Mon Aug 5 11:37:11 MDT 1996

     Before people get too worked up explaining
the different performances of WE and EE econommies
by the access of WE capitalists to gastarbeiters from
Turkey and other poorer countries, let me note that
the USSR had gastarbeiters from North Korea and Vietnam,
sent apparently as payment for "fraternal assistance"
rendered by the USSR.  It is my understanding that the
Vietnamese in particular experienced racism and other
unpleasant stuff.
     If my response to Chris Burford did not get
through:  yes, German capital exploits foreign workers,
but that is not sufficient to explain the differential
in FRG and GDR economic performances.
Barkley Rosser