West German sub-imperialism, Turkish factor

rakesh bhandari djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 5 10:44:51 MDT 1996

Hugh wrote:

>Referring to a 'combination of absolute and relative surplus value' as an
>'innovatory feature of contemporary industrialization' seems to me to be
>totally unhistorical. Marx takes up the various combinations of absolute
>and relative surplus value in his usual thorough way, with empirical
>examples, and I can't imagine that any generation of capitalists has failed
>to make the most of the possibilities available here.

I am out the door right now.  The distinctions I had in mind were
articulated by Wm J Blake, 1939. Marxian Economic Theory and Its Criticism
(New York: Cordon):

"let us now study some changes in the magnitudes or quantitative
differences in the price of labor power and surplus value.  We begin with
three determinants, length of the working day, intensity of work in any
given time and, lastly, the degree of productivity which is dependent on
the utilization of machinery. Any of these three determiants may vary, or
any two of them, or all three of them may alter.  As they vary in degree as
well, the combinations are nominally unlimited. Let us consider only the
variations most frequently met." (231)

Rakesh

ps Geoffrey Kay's Economic Theory of the Working Class is dedicated to Bill
Blake, as well as II Rubin.