Wall Street on Peru

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 8 07:37:12 MDT 1996

At 12:18 PM 8/8/96, Hugh Rodwell wrote:

>>For what it's worth, a friend of mine who covers the "emerging markets" for
>>a financial wire service tells me that Wall Street regards the PCP/SL as
>>mere "background noise," and not a serious threat. They're more worried
>>about a "populist" turn in Latin America - witness Menem's canning of
>>Argentina's finance minister, deeply beloved by the portfolio managers.
>>
>>I say this not to endorse the analysis; just reporting what the big time
>>money jockeys think.
>
>-- sez Doug H.
>
>'Just' reporting -- classical Doug stuff!
>
>Wouldn't it be nice to get *his informed opinion* about what his Wall
>Street buddies are thinking? I've given up hope of ever getting policy
>proposals.

Unlike you, Hugh, I don't have a prefab set of opinions about everything in
the world. I don't really know what the hell is going on in Peru, and I
think a lot of the people who pretend to know don't really either. I do
know that Fujimori is a pig and that his government is brutal and
repressive and that the society is profoundly exploitative and polarized,
but beyond that...I just don't know.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood