West German sub-imperialism, Turkish facto

NICK.HOLDEN at geo2.poptel.org.uk NICK.HOLDEN at geo2.poptel.org.uk
Thu Aug 8 11:45:23 MDT 1996

Just chipping in:

> So many *are* working shorter hours. A shortened workday is a gain if it
is
> won through the struggle, with same level of benefits. Currently, either
in
> the form of  involuntary part-time or shorter and more intense days, it
> seems to be a gain for the capitalists.

Certainly in the UK the increase in part-time work is also an increase in
casual work, i.e. work when there's work, and starve when there isn't. Thi
is very much a defeat, and also makes it very difficult to organise workers.
Traditionally, TUs have operated on the assumption that people have regular
work - right down to subs being paid weekly or monthly unless you prove
you're out of work. But if you work different hours every working day, the
unions don't have a subs scale for you - less likely to persuade people to
join up.

Part of answer ought to be for unions to offer reduced or free membership to
people on zero-hours or low hours contracts, but these people would be
high-demand, and low-benefit members, and would probably want a more active
union to defend them from their (probably particularly nasty) employers.
Therefore they are not the kind of members most union leaderships want.

So, if we want a Labour movement that recruits these disorganised works, we
have to challenge the leadership of it. Again!

> Last note, I think that neo-liberalist policies should push us to organise
> labor-pools instead of just factories. I mean whatever the labor-pool the
> capitalist is using to cycle the workers from.

True. In UK this is mostly done through employment agencies, which cream off
profits by finding casual workers for employers. These have increased
massively recently. Is this mirrored elsewhere in the world?

Regards,

NickH