Life on Mars?

Zeynep Tufekcioglu zeynept at turk.net
Thu Aug 8 13:42:36 MDT 1996

A part of a poem, Nazim Hikmet again:

Are there other thinking creatures in the universe,
Yes
..
Perhaps in one of the stars,
I know not which one,
Our ambassador will speak to them,
I know not in which language,
Our ambassador will speak to them in one of the stars,

Comrade*,
Comrade,

Comrade

That's how our ambassador will start to speak,
That I know
S/he will say - Comrade,
I have not come to establish a base in your star,
Nor do I want preferential rights for fruits or oil,
I don't want to sell Coca Cola either

I have come to salute you,

Salute you
in the name of hopes of the earth
in the name of free bread and free carnations
in the name of happy work and happy rests,

To be able to say - all together
Everywhere,
For everything except the cheek of the beloved**

In the name of the fraternity of the universe,
the nations and the cosmos,
and the planets

*Comrade in the original is used as "Tovarish", the Russian word for comrade.

** The poem was written, I think, in the 1950s or 40s when communists were
under great attack in this Muslim society for their "liberal" views on
women, and were rather defensive. Actually, the author of the poem was
renown for his jealousy, though I should say that his reputation as a "Don
Juan" was also great, as his passionate personality was reflected in his
poetry written for his succession of lovers, a rather longish list.

Zeynep