Reply to Doug H. re "fossil" fuels

Rolf Martens rolf.martens at mailbox.swipnet.se
Sat Aug 10 10:44:23 MDT 1996

Doug,

Looking through my main source on the subject, Jan Bergstroem:
"Gas och olja - kosmiskt eller biologiskt ursprung?", Sweden,
1985, one more time, I found some replies to your first question
(on 06.08). (On your other two, I shall be mercifully or
perhaps cow-ardly silent.)

Lisa will have to listen a few more times to that tune, "Things
to Come", as far as a reply to her second batch of objections on
this subject is concerned. For two quotes from Bergstroem, see below.

>At 2:29 AM 8/6/96, Rolf Martens wrote:
>
>>The point I wanted to make is that the CHEMICAL fuels on *Earth*,
>>which are ERRONOUSLY and, by the bourgeois media, CONSCIOUSLY
>>MISLEADINGLY, called "fossil" fuels, in order to make it appear
>>that they are "scarce", in reality, as a great number of facts show,
>>have a *cosmic' origin, meaning, that they were there from the very
>>beginning, when the Earth was formed, and *in great quantities* too,
>
>Excuse me, but is there any reputable scientist that belives this?
>
>Speaking of methane, we hardly have to go to outerspace for it; cattle
>produce it in great quantities, just to take one example. Could we fit
>livestock with afterburners? Better living through cow farts?
>
>Doug
>
>--
>
>Doug Henwood
>Left Business Observer
>250 W 85 St
>New York NY 10024-3217
>USA
>+1-212-874-4020 voice
>+1-212-874-3137 fax
>email: <dhenwood at panix.com>
>web: <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/LBO_home.html>

2 translated quotes from Bergstroem's small 1985 book:

Quote 1, from page 19:

"Just like the theory of continental drift, the deep gas
hypothesis has a long history in obscurity. Its year of
birth seems to be 1889, and its spiritual father a Russian
named W. Sokoloff. The ideas have later received support
>from a number of countrymen of his, among them P. N. Kropotkin,
G. Rudakov, N. A. Kudryavtsev and V. B. Porfiryev. A survey
available (understandable) to Western readers was written in
1974 by Porfiryev. Otherwise, the Western world has not heard
much about what has been happening in the Soviet Union - the
language and cultural barrier is rather effective."

Quote 2, from pages 19-20:

"That both gas and crude oil may have a common non-biological
origin is, however, believed by some American scientists,
namely, the geologist A. A. Giardini, the chemist Charles E.
Melton and the astronomers Thomas Gold and Steven Soter, who
have written several treatises on the subject in the 1970:s
and the 1980:s"

"The British chemist Sir Robert Robinson as early as in the
beinning of the 1960:s argued that crude oil must have double
origins, biological and non-biological. Of the same opinion
are, for instance, John M. Saul and Thomas Gold. The general
resistance to these ideas however is still very strong."

"Their presentation in the Western world has met considerable
criticism and has sometimes been ridiculed, but the critics
have not cared to point at any errors in the argumentation.
Instead, they have sometimes pointed to 'the forceful
arguments for a biological origin of oil being well-known'
(translation from MacDonald, 1983), and thus have either not
understood the weaknesses which there in fact are in their
attempts at proving their case, or have pretended that they
are not there. By making it appear that the biological origin
of *all* oil is something about which there can be no doubts,
they are presenting things as if further speculations are
unnecessary."

Rolf M.