the "uniquely befuddled" Nick H

NICK.HOLDEN at geo2.poptel.org.uk NICK.HOLDEN at geo2.poptel.org.uk
Wed Aug 14 13:55:21 MDT 1996

Jim says:

> I can't help agreeing with Louis G on this question:
>
> Nick H wants Louis to be held in some way responsible for majority
decisions
> within the CPUSA - ie (which is not the same thing in the real world) for
the
> decisions of the leadership. And yet he refuses this when it comes to his
> *own* party. Louis is no more and no less responsible for the CPUSA's
> leadership decisions than Nick is for the Labour Party's.

Two things seem pertinent.

Firstly, by Jim's logic, I should leave the LP and, presumably, Louis should
leave the CPUSA.

And yet Jim defends Louis whilst attacking me. I wonder why?

Secondly, I think there is a difference - I imagine the CPUSA to be a
democratic centralist organisation. The Labour Party is not.

This makes a big difference in the way the leadership and the rank & file
relate to each other, I would suggest.

NickH