Absolute and relative surplus value

Zeynep Tufekcioglu zeynept at turk.net
Fri Aug 16 13:28:17 MDT 1996

Rakesh to the rescue!

Rakesh, now you cover me, while I explain to the list why LTV is not
metaphysical..

Anyway, I completely agree with your post. As for this point..

> Speed-ups  only increase the  value  produced as long as that
>intensification does not become generalized.

Again, of course. It is the same mechanism that is at work when new
machinery is introduced. When it becomes generalised, the extra profit (over
and above the general rate of profit) also disappears. The general uneven
operating mechanism of capitalism.

Zeynep

p.s.

Trevor, another friend of mine in England has written an article, touching
on subjects that are very close to this debate. You might have seen it
already, I think they are sending it to you as well. (I wasn't in touch with
him at all past month, so the timing is coincidental, though of course  the
similarities are not due to a stochastic process). I've reminded David to
forward his articles to me, but I he says they have to get them in some
proper format first, so as soon as I get them, I'll post some to the list,
and forward whatever I have to you.

p.p.s.
Thanks a lot for the Petras reference. Another nice friend of mine has
located the book, so I'll have that soon.