Cuba: Workers State

NICK.HOLDEN at geo2.poptel.org.uk NICK.HOLDEN at geo2.poptel.org.uk
Sun Aug 18 05:55:32 MDT 1996

Phil said:
> >4) Proletarin democracy requires the existance of competing working class
> >parties to operate within the context of the soviets -- "free" exchange
> >of ideas, policies, etc.

to which Adolfo replied:
> No, it does not.  What Phil says is neither dialectical, nor
materialistic,
> and not even democratic.  It is in fact a bourgeois conception of how
> proletarian democracy ought to function.
> Therefore, rather than guaranteing for all times the existance of
political
> parties and party political competition under any kind of state, (since
> these are but the material expression of class contradictions in society),
> Marxism seeks to develop the proletarian party as the undisputed leader of
> the class and the popular democracy.

Though it surprises me to say it, I agree with Adolfo on this one. Perpetual
political parties implies a continuance of the class struggle - that is what
political parties are for. Hence while there may be residual parties for
some time after a revolution, eventually, as the state withers away owing to
the reducing need for class suppression, so the need for political parties
also withers away.

> Its long term aim is to make possible, and effectuate - by means of the
> proletarian dictatorship, i.e., by the supression of the bourgeoisie and
all
> exploiting classes as well as the political parties and other organisms
> representing their interests - whether these parties or organisms define
> themselves as "workers parties" or not.

The only thing that does worry me about Adolfo's presentation of this
argument is how keen he seems to be to suppress things. Maybe I'm
misinterpreting his message, here, though.

NickH