A Changing Labor Movement and the condescending saviours bestir themselves

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 18 12:44:38 MDT 1996

At 3:41 PM 8/18/96, hariette spierings wrote:

>When the clerical "fire-brigades" multiply their condescending saviour
>efforts it is a good sign that the pillars of the establishment are starting
>to feel dizzy with the foundations rocking!

I'm shocked to find myself coming to the defense of persons of the cloth,
but they're not *all* condescending protectors of the status quo. There are
many religious people who really really believe that capitalist
exploitation is immoral and that social transformation is part of God's
work. I think religion is a crock, but if clerics are making common cause
with the working class, it's a very good thing. In itself, and not as a
sign of ruling class anxiety.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood