biological competition/cooperation and the lists

Chris Burford 100423.2040 at compuserve.com
Thu Aug 22 07:00:56 MDT 1996

I wanted to welcome a post that Lisa wrote almost a fortnight ago,
that passed by,
and which looks  relevant again with Spoons announcement of
reorganizing of Marx space. (see below)

I want to say that silence does not necessarily imply lack
of interest. One of the problems of the subject of "marxism" is
not only the many different types of self-proclaimed marxists but the
enormous interdisciplinary range of subjects that seem
relevant. The sheer volume of interesting material
made it difficult to pick this post up on marxism1.

There is  also for me, as an admirer of chaos theory, the problem
of fractal detail, that things can be  as complex at the
microscopic level as at the global level. I think the comparison
Lisa was making between competition within cells and competition
between human economic cooperative units, was very interesting. Also
the observation that

>>Technically, symbiosis includes several categories, one of which is
parasitism, which harms one party, and only one of which actually
benefits both parties.<<

Assuming that these categories are not static, this could be
interesting for understanding the connections between dialectics
and biology.

The founding statement of this list hoped that it would
be interdisciplinary, and perhaps that will have to be achieved by a
network of lists rather than one list.

But cross fertilization would help.

I understand that in the early days of M2 it seemed right to ban
cross posting. I would ask that moderators have a flexible policy
towards cross posting in marxism-space, in order to help people more
quickly share information
about which threads and people are most involved in which discussions,
where. It may be important to know who is reading which list.
If a group of marxism-moderators comes into being, could they
publish a regular list of posts?

Regards,

Chris