P.B. Proyect squirms some more

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 23 11:46:07 MDT 1996

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Maoist Internationalist Movement wrote:

> [MIM replies: Proyect is about 12 years behind MIM on this.
> We've been selling numerous Monthly Review books for 12 years
> and distributing their books to prisoners. We also put together
> study-groups on Monthly Review books.

Louis: Uh, fellows, MR has sort of moved on. It used to be the main Maoist
theoretical journal in the United States back when you were in diapers.
They are no longer. The last time I heard Harry Magdoff at the Brecht
Forum giving his analysis of what went wrong in the USSR, he advised
people to read Isaac Deutscher not Charles Bettleheim. Even if the MR was
still Maoist, you wouldn't get anybody there to buy into your creepy
position on the trade-union movement. I could just imagine some of those
old-timers who got their teeth busted on picket-lines in the 1930s
listening to your bullshit. The last time I was down there for a "brown
bag" lunch, we heard from a guy died a few weeks later. He had been the
chief economist of the ILGWU. All he talked about were openings in the
union movement and how important he thought they were.

By the way, what are the circulation figures on MIM notes? How do they
stack up against MR? Does anybody read that crap besides members of your
immediate family?