Why we do need an international discussion.

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 24 08:40:32 MDT 1996

    Zeynep's proposal is breathtaking, and/but it would take a good dea
deal of careful advance discussion/debate to make it work. It would
be a leap not merely a step beyond anything we have had on M1 even
at its best, but the rewards could be, as my son likes to say,
awesome. I suspect that for it really to work we would need to
incorporate a bevy of translators, so that it would be possible
to exchange across the many language barriers.

    The chief difficulty (it is tautological to say, but needs
to be remembered) would be the classical one of how to have
enough structure, enough centralism, without having too much
structure. Could we perhaps form a list to start debating the
list that Zeynep proposes? For it to fulfill Zeynep's vision, it
would have to be more than personal amusement (or even "personal
'growth'") for everyone on it. (Another, I think useful, tautology:
A maillist needs friction and marginal irritations: how do we
measure how much? Could such a list stand a bhoddi? (For those who
don't remember him, he was sort of a polite Malecki--but of an
anti-communist flavor.)
    Comradely,
    Carrol Cox
    Illinois State University (English Dept.) Normal, Illinois, USA
    cbcox@