A proposal for a moderated list

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Thu Aug 29 07:29:10 MDT 1996

Louis Godena's thoughtful and substantial remarks on Foucault the
other day points us in the type of direction we need to go.

Louis, a factory worker, has more to say about this subject than
anybody on the Foucault mailing list, I would suspect. After all, when
it comes to power relationships, what better place to experience it than
in a factory.

Now that M1 and M2 are going away, I am hopeful that the artificial
line between academic "theorists" and activists can be abolished.
Communists on the shop-floor should be talking about Foucault while
tenured professors should be discussing the new Labor Party. The
division between M1 and M2 was harmful.

I have a proposal for a mailing list that I would like to moderate. Last
April when Adolfo and I were breaking furniture over each other's
head, I proposed a "cyberseminar" on the question of the revolutionary
potential of the working-class. I am interested in a close study of the
writings of a number of "Western Marxists" who have in common a
certain skepticism about the unilinear radicalization and fight for state
power by the proletariat of the advanced capitalist countries.

Their writings represent a certain dialectic of defeat and include
Lukacs, Gramsci, Adorno, etc. I am also interested in studying replies
to these thinkers from more traditional Marxists such as Ernest
Mandel, etc. I would also like to include more recent Marxist analyses
of the working-class in the United States written by Mike Davis and
Kim Moody. I would assume that comrades from other countries could add
some other studies to the list in the same vein.

This list will put demands on people's time and energy but the payoff
can be enormous. With respect to Adam Rose's concern about the
discussion being restricted to the list, I would make every effort to
circulate substantial contributions to the main moderated list.

Please get in touch with me if you would like to register for this list
which carries 4 credits.

Louis Proyect