A proposal for a moderated list

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Thu Aug 29 09:18:31 MDT 1996

At 09:29 AM 8/29/96 -0400, Louis N Proyect wrote:

>Lukacs, Gramsci, Adorno, etc. I am also interested in studying replies
>to these thinkers from more traditional Marxists such as Ernest
>Mandel, etc. I would also like to include more recent Marxist analyses
>of the working-class in the United States written by Mike Davis and
>Kim Moody. I would assume that comrades from other countries could add
>some other studies to the list in the same vein.
>
>This list will put demands on people's time and energy but the payoff
>can be enormous. With respect to Adam Rose's concern about the
>discussion being restricted to the list, I would make every effort to
>circulate substantial contributions to the main moderated list.
>
>Please get in touch with me if you would like to register for this list
>which carries 4 credits.

Absolutely.    May I suggest at some point authors like Goran Therborn,
whose provactive essays (e.g.  "A Balance Sheet of the Left,"  *New Left
Review* no. 194) are brief but exacting resumes of the achievements and
vicissitudes of the historic Left.    He,  together with a number of newer
authors like Moody,  Davis,  and Caroline New suggest ways in which the Left
can achieve new relevance and definition in a world menaced by a rapacious
and unstable industrial capitalist order.

Sign me up.

Louis (G)